Women in Medicine
Since 1978, the Women in Medicine Student Organization has served as a forum to discuss women’s health topics, increase awareness of the obstacles facing women in professional careers, and promote the advancement and achievement of women in all stages of medical education.
The Women in Medicine Student Organization has more than 80 members for all four classes of medical school. The organization is led by traditional officers and also incorporates a special liaisons coordinator that provides WIMSO representation to Women in Science, Dentistry and Medicine (WISDM) and the Medical Student Government. In addition, students from the incoming medical class are elected in the fall to serve a four-year term as Women in Medicine class representatives.
- How to Treat a Woman Week is an annual series of one hour lunch lectures focused on promoting women's health. Topics for the 2013-2014 academic year include women’s health and politics, contraceptives, HPV vaccination and screening, and managing relationships in stressful careers.
- An Afternoon of Wine and Cheese is an annual event held in the spring as an opportunity for students to meet local physicians, scientists and health advocates through speed mentoring sessions. This event is also a great opportunity for physicians to present their specialties to M1s and M2s.
- Workshops are organized throughout the year covering various topics such as EKGs and pelvic exams.
- Potlucks and dessert socials are also organized throughout the year for additional networking opportunities.
- Girl Scout Leadership Event: In the summer of 2013, WIMSO had the opportunity to partner with the Girl Scout Leadership Institute to teach a seminar about heart health. We hope to continue the partnership with the Girl Scout Leadership Institute in future years to inspire young girls about the possibilities of careers in science and medicine.
The faculty adviser for the Women in Medicine Student Organization is Michelle Whitehurst-Cook, M.D., Associate Dean of Admissions. Faculty advisers serve on the WISDM Faculty Organization as liaisons between the medical students and faculty.
For additional information regarding the Women in Medicine Student Organization feel free to contact any student representative.
- President: Sushmita Gordhandas – email@example.com
- Vice president: Anna Grzegorczyk – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Treasurer: Sabrina Mukhtar – email@example.com
- Secretary: Angie D'Amico – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public relations: Avni Sharma – email@example.com
- Liaisons Coordinator: Shikha Gupta – firstname.lastname@example.org