Special Services for Students
Disability and Academic Support Services
Virginia Commonwealth University, in agreement with Section 504 Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Americans with Disability Act Amendments Act of 2008, provides reasonable accommodations for a person with a documented disability. A prospective student and enrolled student have the right to request reasonable accommodations through the Division of Special Services for Students. Those students who feel they qualify for requesting accommodations should follow these steps:
- Early identification is critical in allowing the Disability Service Provider (DSP) the opportunity to gather all pertinent information prior to the admissions process and beginning of classes. The student should contact the Division of Special Services for Students at 804-828-9782 and request a meeting with the DSP at least 4 weeks in advance of needing the accommodations to be in place.
- Information regarding documentation requirements can be found at the following link of their website: Documentation requirements.
- The DSP will work closely with the School of Medicine Admissions Office to ensure that granted accommodation requests will be handled in a confidential and appropriate manner.
- A student with a documented disability does not need to disclose a disability if he/she feels that they do not need reasonable accommodations throughout the admissions process or while enrolled in the School of Medicine. Students do have the right to request accommodations at any time. However, there may be a delay in the admissions process if accommodations are granted and arrangements for such accommodations need to be ensured. Every attempt will be made by the DSP to handle all accommodation requests in a timely manner. All accommodation requests for any student must be granted by the DSP and are not retroactive at any time.
- Students who would like more information on Disability Services or Academic Support Services are encouraged to visit the website at: Office of Special Services for Students.
Special Services for Students Disability Service Provider
P.O. Box 980124
Richmond, VA 23298-0124
Web site: About Disability Support Services